Successful pet adoption, like the development of any serious relationship, begins with an introduction, evolves through a series of bonding steps and discovery experiences, and culminates with love and commitment. Pet adoption starts in the minds and hearts of prospective owners who must think seriously before they adopt pets, examining their lives to make sure they are ready for such long-term relationships.
The Adoption Process
- Visit the Pet Adoption Center (perhaps several times).
- Take your time and browse through our many kennels and cat cages.
- Ask our knowledgeable staff your questions and discuss your concerns.
- With the assistance of an SPCA volunteer or staff member, spend time with the possible pet in one of our exercise areas or cat viewing area.
- Plan on spending at least 30 minutes socializing with the animal.
- Begin the adoption process paperwork.
- All animals will be spayed or neutered before they leave the shelter.
- You will be contacted as soon as the pet returns from the veterinarian and is ready for completion of the adoption process.
- Complete the adoption paper work and pay the adoption fees.
- Make an appointment for your new pet with a veterinarian.
Included in the Adoption Fee:
- Spay/Neuter procedure
- Preventative vaccinations: Parvo, Distemper and Bordetella (dogs), FVRCP Vaccination (cats)
- De-worming and flea treatment
- Veterinary examination
- FELV/FIV testing (cats)
- Leash (dogs)
Prior to the adoption of an animal, we ask that you complete an application. This information will help the Bakersfield SPCA achieve its goal of finding permanent, responsible, loving homes for the animals in our care and allow us to better assist you in finding a pet suited to your needs.