License Information


The Law

All dogs within the City and County limits of Bakersfield, 4 months of age and over, must be vaccinated to protect against rabies and must be licensed.

There are over 20,000 animals needlessly destroyed in Kern County each year. Some suffer from disease or sickness, others are hit by vehicles and some are euthanized simply because there is not enough room to hold them humanly in the animal control facility. This is a growing concern of the SPCA. We are taking steps to change these statistics and so can you. Please license your dog and keep its vaccinations current!


Two Easy Steps

  1. Vaccinate your dog for rabies through a licensed veterinarian or a low-cost rabies clinic.
  2. Promptly return your dog’s rabies certificate (obtained from veterinarian at time of vaccination), spay/neuter certificate if your dog is altered, and the proper license fee.


City of Bakersfield residents 

By mail:

City of Bakersfield
P.O. Box 2057
Bakersfield, CA 93305


In person:

City of Bakersfield Animal Care Center
201 South Mt. Vernon Avenue
Bakersfield, CA 93307
661-832-PETS (7387)

Development Services Department
1715 Chester Ave.
Bakersfield, CA 93301
(661) 326-3719


Kern County residents

By mail or in person:

Kern County Animal Control
3951 Fruitvale Ave.
Bakersfield, CA 93308


Reasons To License Your Pet

  • A license provides proof to others that your pet has been vaccinated against rabies.
  • Should you lose your pet, anyone finding it can contact the city or county with its license number so they can put them in contact with you.
  • Should a Bakersfield Animal Control officer or County Animal Control officer find your pet and bring it in to the Animal Control Facility, they will be able to contact you to arrange for the return of your pet.
  • A license is proof of ownership.
  • Licensing encourages spay/neuter of pets to control over population. Fees for licensing an altered dog are less than fees for licensing an unaltered dog.
  • It’s the law.